Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Strength

Rom 11:17-18
...And you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them (the natural branches), and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree...


I love a stack pancakes with butter. I'm not talking about just a single pad of butter on top, but a couple of pads of butter on each pancake in the stack and finally, one of those scoops of butter on top of the hot stack with warm syrup running down the side and dribbling on the plate in a big buttery, syrupy puddle. You gotta have a big glass of cold milk with that. Can you taste it?

My favorite kind of syrup is real Vermont maple syrup that comes right out of the tree. It's so much better than the imitation kind that there's really no comparison. If you live in Vermont, you know the image well of cans hanging on the sides of maple trees with the syrup dripping from the tree trunk into the can.

That's the best place to get your syrup: right from the tree.

The same is true in our Christian life. The fountain of blessing, the source of life, is found in Jesus Himself. Our strength and encouragement and power is found not so much in mere talk about Jesus but in Jesus Himself. He's what we need--not something artificial or imitation. All is found in Him.

Eph 6:10-11 "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might." Beloved brothers and sisters, we are never stronger than when we are utterly dependent on Jesus. Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9.

Whatever challenges or trials or uncertainties or dilemmas or ventures you find yourself facing, may you find your strength in Jesus.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.

3 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure must have some kind of self discipline to be able to do atkin's and have such a deep love of pancakes and syrup! ;) Your post today was a good reminder for me. It's so easy to get caught up in books and videos that are supposed to help yet draw me away from my time with the Lord. To often I forget that He wants to talk to me personally, not through an interpreter. I think I'll go say "Hi"
Fran

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous pjs said...

Hey Pastor Dave, I really enjoyed your blog today.
Oh and...that's Matt's favorite syrup too.
God Bless,
pjs

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Flopek said...

Hey Dave - we differ. I like only one pancake (not stacking) with a berry jam, not jelly. I don't think any kind of syrup makes a pancake tast as good as jam does. Mmm, I can't wait until the next men's breakfast!

BTW - Thanks for the encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home